Monday, October 23, 2006

Museum, mountain, work

I've been a bit lazy about posting, but I've been getting out and about quite a bit in the last few days.

On Thursday, I finally managed to get to the refurbished Kelvingrove Art Gallery. It deserves a longer post, but basically, I'm relieved that they haven't broken it. I do have a few reservations about some of the thematic displays, but everybody's doing it like that now. Like many, I was delighted to find some of my much -loved objects from childhood. There's the Dali, of course. Then there's Fulton's Orrery (not moving, alas). And I recognised a lot of the arms and armour from a school project in about 1985. I even found the skeleton of the wonderfully named Baron of Buchlyvie, the champion Clydesdale horse from 1911. My favorite of all eluded me for a while, until I went to see the Italian art gallery, which now contains the fantastic Avant armour. This was first pointed out to me by an art teacher at school for its coldy functional, yet oddly beautiful lines, and fits nicely in an art gallery.


I spent a damp weekend in Torridon (is there any other type?) with a certain mountaineering club that I have been vaguely meaning to join for a year or so. Fun, but quite awkward when you don't know people. I did play a couple of games of pool in a pub for the first time in years.

And today was the first of my new job in Glasgow. It rained this morning too. I'd forgotten that Glaswegian paving slabs always seem to be so badly laid that they squirt jets of muddy water over your feet when you step on them. Mind you, I'd also forgotten the fine Victoriana of the centre of town, with its red sandstone chambers. The job seems fine, but what can you tell from one day?

No comments: