Sunday, October 25, 2009

Bookmarks

I've just purchased some big bookcases to replace various small ones that I've acquired over the years. So last night I had some anoraky fun sorting out my books. Quite a few contained abandoned bookmarks. I've never been one for using proper bookmarks, usually just grabbing any handy piece of paper, so these form a kind of demented summary of my last 20 years. In no particular order:
  • Receipt for OPTIKA, 22 Stall St, Bath on 17 August 1996. Looks like I had an eye test, though I have no memory of this.
  • Receipt for Napier University library, recording the borrowing of Mathematics in Western culture on 05 January 2005.
  • Slip of paper torn from a A4 sheet. The header has Chapter 5 The Holos Worksheet.
  • Cheap day return, Edinburgh to Dalmeny, 11 September 2004.
  • Credit card receipt for Edinburgh-Glasgow monthly ticket, 30 October 2006. £250! No wonder I left that job.
  • Receipt from Ipswich and Norwich Co-op for compost, 12 April 2003. I was served by Lynn.
  • Wrapper from Terry's Waifa. Best before APR97.
  • Two genuine bookmarks from Word Power books. Recent.
  • Ditto, much creased, from Waterstones, circa 1997.
  • Ditto, from John Smith and Sons, Glasgow, early 90s.
  • Punched Fortran card. Rescued from Glasgow University Physics Dept, circa 1990.
  • Ticket for the Courtauld Gallery, bearing a detail from Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere.
  • Seagate Pound. A fake pound note produced as a drinks voucher for a company bash. By means of Photoshop, our company secretary's head was substituted for the queen's, and didn't she look the part. Late 90s.
  • Room card from Spread Eagle Hotel, Thame. Probably 1998.
  • Business card/bookmark from Tin Can Mailman, Arcata, CA. I bought from them via abebooks. December 2001.
  • Nice bookmark, bought in Paris, reproducing drawing by Gustave Moreau. I wondered where that had got to.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Sounds like you're going to need a bookcase for your bookmarks soon!

Dave said...

Yeah, I think I might donate them to the Hunterian museum on my death.