Friday, October 21, 2005

Fun-filled afternoon

It was a rainy Friday afternoon, so it seemed like the time to do some computer peripheral maintenance. I've long held the view that understanding computers is just about possible, but understanding printers and devices of that ilk is a wholly other proposition. Still, I had two useless devices gathering dust on the floor, so they either had to start working, or they were out.

The Epson scanner responded well to some re-installation, and is now mostly working. Some of the wilder shores of scanner functionality seem still to be out of reach, but I'm happy enough. It works.

The dodgy Dell own-brand printer is another matter. This has been sick since I tried to refill the ink cartridges myself, rather than pay over the odds for the gold plated ones from Dell. Yes, I'm tight, but I'd do the same again. Attempted re-installation only made this worse, and had me swearing at the screen quite a bit. It felt just like working on Crystal Enterprise all over again. Need I add that the supplied manual was useless? Not a great advert for my former profession.

No comments: