Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Me, moaning about Christmas

Since I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow, can I just say what a crap festive season/midwinter festival this has been?

I like this time of year little enough, what with short days, the lack of public transport, the lack of non-Christmas items in the shops, dreadful weather, and that utterly humourless bonhomie that comes over many people. Add to this feeling ill and wheezy, and still not knowing many people in Edinburgh, and you have a truly miserable couple of weeks on your hands.

Let's just count the good things, shall we:

  • I did manage to read through quite a backlog of books, including some Hunter S. Thompson, Alan Bennett's latest, Pompeii by Robert Harris, Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy Maclean.
  • I saw some good films (Constant Gardener, and Narnia at the cinema, and a revisit for Young Adam and Nixon on DVD) .
  • I visited Edinburgh Zoo for the first time since about 1978, it being a suitable activity for somebody who wants to get exercise and diversion, but not get too far from a coffee shop or the bus back.
  • I managed to see the physics bods (colleagues during postgraduate days) for the first time in several years.

No comments: