Sunday, January 29, 2006

Why we do this

What started out as a rather ho-hum hillwalk today turned into one of my best ever days out. The target was Meall nan Tarmachan, chosen because I saw nothing of its lovely four tops and rugged ridge during my first ascent over a decade ago. In fact my clearest memory is possibly of my clothing steaming dry in a bar in Killin later that day.

Today's weather looked OK--dry and calm, but somewhat cloudy. Up we went and entered the cloud at around 700m. Near the top and half way up a rather steep slope, somebody points out that you can see blue at the top. And at the top, we emerge from the leaden cloud into a sunlit world of sparkling ice and crisp blue shadows. We stop for food and crampon fitting, and the top of the cloud slowly sinks, revealing Ben Lawers; several miles off, but seen in pin-sharp detail. Yes, it's a cloud inversion, and a close-to-perfect example of its type.

The summit of Meall nan Tarmachan reveals an incredible view. It's a relief map of the southern highlands, but with everything below 1000m obscured by an ocean of cloud. To the south, there is an unbroken sea, flat as a millpond. To the north, all the famous peaks as far as the great glen, are floating like whales.

1 comment:

roGER said...

Been a long time since I saw a cloud inversion, but your description took me right back (to the Alps!).

Nice one - wondered if you were in the mountains when I called on Sunday...

- roGER