Thursday, March 16, 2006

Birdspotting

This morning two treecreepers were doing their thang on a large gnarled tree in the Meadows. I stopped to watch for a bit. Their tear-shaped bodies bobbed and darted about on the trunk like mice. Then it started snowing, so I moved on.

If you've detected an increase in bird notes in this blog recently, it's largely because I talk to Bob at work a lot and he knows about stuff like this. He's a good teacher--using interesting facts to hook me in and never overloading me with information. The bit of river near work holds a surprising number of birds and often starts us off. There's the exotic ducks that I've discovered are goosanders, the rather charming grey wagtails the other day (an easy one since they do a lot of tail-wagging), and the redwings foraging in the football field. I've still not seen the kingfisher, though. Patience, patience.

No comments: