Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Here day, away day

The statistician's away day (just think about that concept for a moment) is now past. It was actually about a day and a half in Peebles Hydro and wasn't as bad as I feared. I don't really take to such events, partly because they take place in hotels (which I don't understand) and partly because of the awkwardness of coping with over 100 people whom I don't know. Like the odd loner I am, I go for a walk up the wee glen beside the hotel after the first day. It's a pleasant evening, despite having snowed earlier, and there's a noisy tawny owl in the woods. All in all, it could be worse.

Going back into the office after this short break, I'm struck by what a nice environment it is. I realise clearly for the first time that I'm going to miss this if, as seems likely, I don't get a permanent job there.

No comments: